1.11.2010

Progress in Changing it Up.

Just in case you were wondering, I’ve taken this past week or so to take my own advice and try to shake up my life a little. Honestly, so far I am happy with the results.

First of all, I had an outfit in my closet that I had never worn. I had bought it because I really liked it (even though it wasn’t very “me”). However, it spent many days and nights wasted in my closet because I felt weird wearing it—I didn’t feel like me because I was convinced I couldn’t “pull it off”. I thought this would be the perfect place to start my change experiment.

I wore the outfit, feeling a little uneasy at first, but feeling so much better once I moved away from the mirror. The outfit was comfortable and cute—I even got some compliments. Now, I believe that you shouldn’t need compliments to feel good about yourself (but I also don’t deny that they can really help sometimes). In this case, the compliments helped me to realize that I am the only one with that power to decide what is “me” and what’s not.

I’m not a vain person, but I started with clothes because I have the tendency to use them as my outlet of artistic expression. I am not artistic in the conventional sort of way, so using clothes is fun for me—which makes this a major break through I think. If I feel like what I am “allowed” to wear is restricted than I feel like I am being restricted. Breaking through that feels good.

After the clothes, I took people’s suggestions on other things—mainly movies. I have watched so many movies in the past week that I would have never considered. I loved some, hated others and enjoyed every minute of it because I realized the bigger picture: that I can miss out on SO much with every “no” that makes its way past my lips.

I wanted to post this update because I’m headed to New York City tomorrow on a 7am flight and I have no doubt that I will have plenty of opportunities to say “yes” instead of “no”. This has been my progress so far and I intend to let NYC catapult me into greater open-mindedness.

I hope you’re trying to open your mind too. I’m not trying to make it sound like a walk in the park. It can take effort and be scary or uncomfortable. But after those feelings pass, its incredibly freeing—even the small steps.

1 comment:

  1. Trin!!! I love your blog. That's a great idea. I tend to be a person of hardline routine, especially since I've gotten out of school. Thanks for reminding me to try new things. Tomorrow I will be riding my road bike for the first time in a while...in freezing weather (probably 20*) all bundled up. Although this is not new, this is something I have not done for a couple years. I am sure it will make me feel alive.
    Have fun in NYC! What a great city!

    ReplyDelete