With all of these posts concerning my NY trip, it may seem as though my "Better Yourself" series has been lost...this is not the case! I have been working toward a more open mind every single day and I hope you have too.
With January at a close, I feel very accomplished. As I look back, I realize that you really do have to try to be open-minded. We let ourselves be shaped and molded into the person we are at this very moment. Open-mindedness is counterintuitive because we make our lives about a journey of self-discovery. And when we feel like we have found ourselves, that's it--we are the person we want to be. By nature, we form habits, take up hobbies, act and react all within the frame of what is "typical" behavior for "me".
But what can be learned from this open-mind experience is that we are never us...sounds ridiculous, huh? What I mean is that that only thing that binds us to we "are" is the boundaries we put on ourselves. We are amazing creatures with unlimited capacity for personality. Psychologically, physically, emotionally and spiritually we are always adapting and growing. It may sounds trite, but you can be whoever you want to be. I know you've heard that a lot, but I repeat it because I am pretty sure you don't believe it. The only thing you need in order to be able to change is the belief that you can.
The beauty of life is in our choices. So, if you want to try something or do something--do it!! No one besides yourself gets to decide who you are. Maybe somethings feel out of character for you, but its important to realize that those limitations are imposed upon us, not something we are born with--and that makes all of the difference. Don't let the others put borders around you and, more importantly, get rid of the limits you have set on yourself because I bet if you really sat down and thought about it, you would realize that your biggest bully is you.
If anyone has chosen to embark on this experiment with me, I am very glad to have you--everything is better when you are in good company. Also, if anyone has taken any of my suggestions (no matter which one, big or small, any variation) I would love to hear about your experience. Or if you haven't tried anything, but have any comments, ponderings or problems with anything I have said, I would also love to hear any of that. Throw it all at me because I am really trying to start something here and get people involved. You don't have to comment publicly on my blog or anything, you can email me at trinitymatthews@gmail.com. Or, if you know me or live nearby and would like to meet up for coffee or lunch, etc, I would also love that!! :)
One more thing!! My February post- Make New Friends, But Keep the Old- will be up tomorrow. Check it out and join me in the Better Yourself 2010 experiment. Tell your friends!!
Okay, enough desperate plugs :)
Peace and Love,
Trin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment